Monday, July 13, 2009

SECOND Birthday Pressie

My second birthday pressie: Grace, Forgiveness and Mercy

It came unexpectedly from a stranger. Given to me in when I do not deserved it the most.

It was my birthday DAY. Sunday. It was also a day we would spend our mornings worshiping God in church. Currently, we're attending Bridge Church in Richmond. My ex-classmate brought us there few weekends ago. And we've been attending the church ever since.

Since we have yet to own a car, we took the tram to church. And for a tram ride, you need a valid tram ticket. Which, I forgot to buy the day before...

I thought I could purchase the ticket at convenience store nearby. But, on this particular Sunday, it was closed.

So, I thought I could purchase it on the tram itself. But the ticket machine on the tram does not have the weekend pass. Hubby suggested to get it at the stop where we're to change tram.

"But what if I got caught without ticket??" My heart pounded.

The tram finally came to a stop. We rushed out. We were late for church. And I still need to buy a tram ticket at the station before I hop onto the next tram.

But, my nightmare had just begun.

"Excuse me, can I see your ticket."

There were officers on the tram station. And as passengers stepped out of the tram, the officers stopped each and every one of them, requesting them to display their tram tickets.

"Oh no... " My heart cried out.

I walked out as fast as possible, hoping not to be caught.

"Excuse me, miss... can I see your ticket please..."

It was too late. I was caught. It was my fault anyway. I didn't have a valid tram ticket. Although I was planning to get it there, I was still breaking the law. I felt so ashamed and aghast with myself. How could I let this happen...

"Can have some identification please, " the lady officer requested.

"Urm... ermm..." my mind tried to think, "This is my Malaysian IC. Will this do?" my hands was shaking as I took out my IC.

"Yup, that will do fine." She took my IC and started writing down the charges and fine.

"Where are going? Why are you in rush?" she questioned.

"Oh... I'm going to church. And I'm kind of late..." I felt so disgusted with myself. Going church and yet breaking the law...

"Tell me, where do you live?"

"I'm staying with a friend at the moment... and her address is...is..." I couldn't think properly. My eyes were hot with tears. My mind was confused and frightened. And my heart is pounding mad. I couldn't recall her address...

"Please hold on, I wrote it somewhere," I took out my pink diary and flipped the pages frantically for the address.

"Oh... here's the address." I showed it to her.

"Let me write this down.... Ok.... and your birth date?" she continued writing down my details.

"It's 12 July..." I said with great disappointment. I was really looking forward to having a fabulous day today. But today started out not as I was hoping for.

"Ok, 3rd July..." she said as she wrote down '03 JULY' on the form.

"No," I held back my tears and corrected her, "It's 12th July... today...".

"Oh... it's your birthday today!" She looked at me with excitement. "Happy Birthday to you!" She let out a warm smile.

"Thanks..." I sighed.

"Well, then," she said, "Go to your church now. Give a testimony for today!"

"Huh??" I got confused.

"Don't worry about this. I'm letting you off today. Go now, give testimony for today," she smiled.

I was so in shock. My tears finally came down running. "I'm so sorry. So sorry.. I wanted to buy the ticket yesterday, but I forgot... and the shop was closed... and... and..." I was sobbing. I couldn't understand what I was saying.

"It's ok now. God bless you" she smiled again.

I was so relieved, though, I was still very much ashamed of myself. I couldn't stop the tears from flowing.

I hurried to the ticket counter and bought myself the tram ticket. As I was on the next tram to church, I thought to myself how ignorant and unprepared I was. And how much grace, forgiveness and mercy was shown to me despite of that.

It somehow reminded me God. His big wonderful love, grace and mercy. Forgiveness after forgiveness.

But it also reminded me of another thing of God. That He's just, holy and righteous. Though He's abundant with forgiveness, one day, after my very last breathe on earth, I will stand in front of the judgment seat. And there, there will be no more second chances.

I'm very grateful of this day. But, I need to be more prepared, diligent and less ignorant. And I need to be more discipline in that.

Thank you lady officer for letting me go.

And thank you Lord, for everything.

0 comments:

Post a Comment